Contact me: hanno@braun-odw.eu @hanno:braun-odw.eu

Hanno Braun

making, automation, small-scale manufacturing

Updates

I'm a big believer in open source, and I do most of my work out in the open. Most of that happens on GitHub, but I also post some of the stuff I do here. Especially when doing something that's not software, I like to make an entry here.

  1. In my main workshop, I got this lamp with an integrated magnifying glass attached to my bench. I was missing something similar in my severely space-constrained home workshop, so I got this tiny thing.

    I haven't used it extensively, so I can't give a firm recommendation yet, but it looks decent and literally fits in my pocket.

  2. I switched back to the 0.4mm nozzle on Friday. Printer is still working flawlessly. The calibration cube pictured above is certainly the best I've seen in weeks.

    I think the problems were caused by two separate partial clogs: First after a change from Prusament PLA to Fillamentum NonOilen, the second after I ran the Mini's built-in first-layer calibration (which assumes a 0.4mm nozzle) with the 0.25mm nozzle.

  3. This is hard to believe, but I managed to print something without any issues, for the first time in weeks. And not only once, I did two of these first layer calibration prints in a row, plus a spacer.

    Before that, I was cleaning the nozzle on the outside and figured, why not heat it way up, to see if that can get any potential obstructions out of there. After that and a filament purge, I've only seen good prints so far.

    Could it be that all of these mystery problems were caused by partial clogging of the nozzle or hot end?

  4. The trend continues. Every attempted solution to a problem creates new ones. Now I'm having issues with z-axis calibration. It's out of calibration, I adjust over a few prints, now everything's great. Then, for next day's first print, it's out of calibration again.

    I figured that maybe, due to the new improvised enclosure, the printer heats up over a few prints, causing the z-axis to expand. And in fact, some calculation based on plausible guesstimates tells me the aluminium extrusion that holds the z-axis might grow by 0.13mm. That's more than half the first layer height, and about the same as my adjustment to the z-offset value.

    But of course, if the z-axis grows, the z-position should be too low for the first print, which is the exact opposite of what I'm seeing. After many weeks of this kind of stuff, I'm so thoroughly confused.

  5. My new 3D printer enclosure. I can assure you, I will start designing a new new one shortly. But in the meantime, let's see how this one works out.