Contact me:

Hanno Braun

making and small-scale manufacturing


I have a daily habit of working on side projects, and I've come to appreciate the benefits of tracking that habit out in the open. If I'm doing work on a software project, I track that on GitHub. If it's more hands-on, I like to post an update here.

  1. I was hoping to solve some printing problems, not create new ones! Lately, I've been having problems with my calibration cubes. They are higher than they should be, the first few layers are smaller than nominal (only the first layer should be a bit smaller, according to slicer settings), and there's a bulge on one side.

    I've inspected the G-Code, using the slicer as well as manually, and everything looks good there. I'm suspecting a firmware problem (probably unlikely, but it's one variable that changed) or a clogged nozzle (not sure how that would cause these results, but I've seen other signs of that).

    At least I'm pretty sure I'll come out of this having learned more about 3D printing, but it's hard not be a tiny bit frustrated 😄

  2. Check out what came in the mail today. I'm about to step up my game here! 😁

    Pretty sure I've identified all the issues I'm having with the NonOilen prints, and the spacer model prints in general. This micrometer (and a new printer nozzle that I'm waiting on) should help solve them all.

  3. I recently did some research into biodegradable 3D printing filaments (and published a note about it). Lots more options than I thought, but most manufacturers don't really go into detail about the circumstances under which the parts degrade, which is kinda important, in my opinion.

  4. Still trying to track down the problem I'm having with the spacer model. Aside from the issue with the internal diameter, there seems to be the additional problem of the NonOilen prints being ever so slightly smaller than the PLA prints.

    I'm knee-deep in slicer settings now, which is fun but also a bit overwhelming.

  5. Trying to track down some dimensional accuracy problems I'm having with those spacer models. The inner diameter is consistently too small, by up to 0.4mm. I played around with the slicer settings, but couldn't figure it out so far.

    I figured it might be the printer, but those calibration cubes are accurate within 0.1-0.2mm, which is well inside the expected range.